Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Save what's left for the deaf...

Tone Deaf Tuesdays

This week, I take us back to the early fall 1992. At the time, Bill Clinton was running for president for the first time. I was on the local committee for his election. As I say, I'm from the reddest part of this blue state (hell, my county voted FOR Herbert Hoover and NOT FDR in the midst of the Great Depression, that's how Republican this area is), so the committee was composed of about 10 people. It was run by a lady who used to live in Arkansas called Gloria. THe ten of us would get together about once a week and talk about all these great things we were gonna do. And in the end, the only real thing we did was get campaign buttons and signs from the national committee. I handed out both, and proudly display the Clinton-Gore campaign sign from my window at home. BUt really, that all we ever did.

Anyway, at about that same time, I had bought the new B-52's DC and loved it. And I recall nearly every time I drove to one of the meeting, the song "Revolution Earth" playing from the cassette. And at times I made sure it played because, in my wide eyed youth, I felt that Clinton beign elected would be a revolution.

At any rate, even now, when I hear "Revolution Earth" I go right back to my 1989 blue Camaro, driving to the meeting in Chambersburg, the windows down, the sun setting, me singing the song and filled with hope and optimism.




POLT = listening to "Bad To The Bone" by George Thorogood

Well, honey, you know if you want people to like you, you have to buy them something. - Karen, Will & Grace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»