Saturday, May 27, 2006

On the brite side, I've got my visuals...

Last night, I went to see X-Men 3. I'm going to warn you know, this post may containg some spoilers. I will give a warning again once I'm talking about stuff from the movie, so if you've not seen the movie and don't want to know anything that goes on during them, obey the warnings I'm gonna give!

Firstly, though, I realized that so often in here I talk about people, and i casually throw names about like seeds in a garden. Some of you may not be remembering these people as well as some others. SO, I've got out online and found some little photos that remind me of each of the people I talk about, and hopefully that can help you all remember who I'm talking about as well. This post, I'll be talking about the following people, in addition to myself:

Ghostie, the dead boy wonder, I've mentioned him numeous times, he needs no further introduction;


















Gilligan. I used to work with him, and I'd always call him 'my lil buddy', hence the Gilligan name. even got him a shirt with Gilligan printed onthe front. Naturally, i have one that says Skipper too.








Mary Ann. This is Gilligan's girlfriend who I met for the first time that night. I liked her. She seemed normal...and a normal girlfriend is quite an accomplishment for Gilligan.











Mr. David Franceschina AKA Steven Furry AKA The Closet Liberal














Mrs. David Franceschina , God love her and give her patience.











So anyhow we met at the Mall; ate at the food court; made fun of the security guards, and other freaks that populate the Valley Mall; harrassed Mr. David Franceschina about the fact the country had come to my point of view, deserting him, as evidenced by Bushie's 29% ratings; and then went to the theater. Miraculously, we found six seats all together, and that's where we sat. This is where, before the movie started, that I found out this; and then the movie started.

SPOILERS ALERT!!! (skip this part if you don't want to know anything about the movie)

I'll still try not to go too indepth to the movie...

I liked it. Not as much as the first two, or perhaps I should say, I dislike this movie more than the first two. I disliked it for two reasons. 1) Characterization was minimal at best. The director is better known for action flicks, and it seems he sacrificed character growth for action sequences. Don't get me wrong, the action scenes are outstanding. BUt there was little to none character change or growth or anything. And 2) they could have titled the movie "WOLVERINE....and his X-men friends". The character of WOlverine had WAAAYYY too big a part in this, and the rest of the X-Men suffered as a result. I understand they're going to make a seris of WOlverine movies (which I am very doubtful that I'll waste my money to see), but they could have at least waited for one of those before moving that character front and center in an X-Men movie.

On the plus side, there is PLENTY of eye candy! Cyclops, though his role is small, is looking good with the scruffy beard thing going on. Colossus looks extremely hot in his sleeveless uniform. Ben Foster, the guy playing Angel, has a torso and abs carved from marble it looks like! ANd my boy Shawn Ashmore, just looks cuter and cuter as Iceman. ANd he even gets to kick a little butt, sorta, this time. There's an spiky Asian guy in the Brotherhood that's easy on the eyes, and even Madrox, the Multiple Man is kinda hunky.

As mentioned, the action scenes are memorable, with the special effects nicely done. ANd the costumes the team wears work well. ALso, there's humor: some of Beast's comments brought chuckles, as did Kitty Pryde's fight vs. Juggernaut. Yeah, who'da thunk it?

However few things stuck out as incosistent to me. And if I think the fact that I noticed them during the movie the first time I saw it, shows how the movie did NOT have me wrapped in it's grasp like I hoped it would.

1) Storm and Wolverine take the jet to find Jean and Scott. They land it in a large fog bank. they exit the jet and then walk a few yards or so in one direction until Storm thinks of disapating the fog (why it took her so long, I have no idea). When she does so, they are on a beach, with the lake in front of them and the woods behind them. My question, when I saw this was, Where is the jet? How could they have landed it in the wooded area behind them?

2) When the Professor discovers Wolverine ont he floor and Jean gone, he searches for her, and they realizes she went home. They hurry to the jet, and arrive at Jean's parents house post haste. At the mansion, the Professor was wearing a purple tie, at Jean's house he's wearing a yellow tie and different shirt. When did he find time to change those, and why?

3) The team sees Alcatraz under attack, suits up, goes to the jet and flies as fast as they can from New York to San Francisco. They fight a little, and then Angel's father is thrown from the roof, and suddenly there's Angel, grabbing him and saving his life. The only problem is, Angel was back at the mansion in New York, and did not fly over ont he jet with the others. Even if he's a fast flyer, I doubt he could get across the continent almost as fast as a super-sonic jet.

4) When Magneto rips the GOlden Gate bridge up and moves it (which was an impressive scene mind you), as he settles it down, you can see the torn parts of the two towers hovering above the water. Indeed, if he had allowed the bridge to settle, the bridge part of it probably would have been udnerwater. Yet, later on, after he's injected with "the cure", the bridge still remains where it was. With his power no longer holding it up, it should have dropped into the bay.

These are nits I'm picking, I realize that. BUt the fact they occured to me whiel I watched the movie, shows to me, how the movie was lacking compared to the first two.

Still I did enjoy it, and would recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in seeing it. It's just a shame they're going to end the X-men franchise and replace it with *shudder* WOlverine. And what's worse, according to the trailers, the next Marvel movie is gonna be about Ghost Rider???? WTF??? Why choose a throw-away no name character like that? no Captain AMerica movie? No Iron Man movie? Hell, no Wasp movie? I mean, she's been a longer, better character than...*groan* Ghost Rider! Oh well, whatver.....

POLT - listening to "Shine" by Cyndi Lauper

The perfect tool for combating mindless optimism is the workplace. - Mac Anderson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what..I was going to take the high road and ignore you....can't you just let me wallow in my own hypocrisy? That's fine..I may brought this on myself..but just you wait...just you wait...snakes on a plane man..snakes on a plane

P.S +1 for the picture of the wife

Anonymous said...

they could have titled the movie "WOLVERINE....and his X-men friends". The character of WOlverine had WAAAYYY too big a part in this

Hey, Wolverine's Canadian, man. :) It's about bloody time! Christ, we had to put up with Steve McQueen in The Great Escape and U-571's Enigma machine being captured by a Yankee crew... time to share the spotlight! :) As Junkhouse musically promised, "It's just a matter of time until we get to shine..." ;)

Anonymous said...

At the mansion, the Professor was wearing a purple tie, at Jean's house he's wearing a yellow tie and different shirt. When did he find time to change those, and why?

Don't you get it? The tie was Mystique! Shhhhh! :)

Okay... somebody's gotta explain the snakes on a plane thing to me. :D

Polt said...

David: hehehe, glad to see you didn't take the high road, ignoring me is no fun. And it ain't gonna make me stop either. :)

Lone Primate: Yeah I know Wolverine's Canadian and if that were the reason he was getting all the screen time, that would be cool with me. but it isn;t. I have no idea who Junkhouse is, so I'll take your word for it. And Mystique was the tie??!?!?!?! I LOVE it! :)