Monday, May 15, 2006

The shelter of mother's little helper...

As i mentioned previously, I do not do anything on Mother's Day itself. I always do things around then, and try to surprise mom while doing so. Saturday, as you may recall, I went with a group of family to eat. I also gave mom the Mommy Frame that day. And then, that night, I thought I ought to take her out to eat...on Monday...from her work....and make it a surprise! Cause since she's got the frame, she won't be expecting anything!

So, Monday morning, I got up and tried to call her work. The only problem was I only had HER number. I had forgotten the general access numebr to the switchboard, and I never really knew any of her co-workers numbers. But I knew Mom's extension is 1217, so I thought I'll dial on near that, and maybe get her co-worker. I tried 1215, and got some guy. I asked for Beth in the budget office (who is mom's boss) he gave me the extention and then hung up. I don't think he liked the interruption.

At any rate, I called Beth, left her a message, and then fretted about what if she were not today? then what would I do? But she called me back and said it was a great idea. She said she'd called security at the gate and let them know I was coming. And mom usually eats at her desk about 1130, so I should try to get there a bit before then.

ANd I did, stopping only once, to get some flowers from a store. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to choose from, they all looked kidna dead. Must have been leftovers from Mother's Day. But I picked the best one and was on my way.

I got to her work, and got through security with no problem at all. ANd I got up to her office. The door was shut, no one answered the door. So I opened it and went in. SHe came soon thereafter, and was quite surprised. We had to go talk to Beth, and then she took me to meet a co-worker Susan, who apparently she talks to about me all the time, but in only good ways, of course. (oh, I'm blushing so!)

After this, we went to eat at a place called the Shamrock. Imagine the green Irish theme throughout. BUt the food was pretty damn good. I got haddock, mom got soup and a salad. And we had a pleasant talk throughout. I paid and we got back to her work, took a picture, I wished her a second happy MOther's Day, told her I loved her and left for home.

I love surprising her like this. Seeing her face, her appreciation, and hearing her proudly tell her coworkers makes it all worthwhile. For all she does for me, I',m glad I can make her happy and proud.

Mama Polt rocks! This is us in her office, with the sorry flowers I got her.



POLT = listening to "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls

No man profiteth but by the loss of others. - Michel de Montaigne

4 comments:

The Persian said...

that is such the sweet picture!! What a great little story about surprising Mom. My mother is never reachable, always on the go.

:)

Polt said...

Mom's pretty busy also, but I knew I could catch her at work. Oh, and i told Beth to hold her there, somehow, if she tried to leave for lunch or what have you.

Having conspirators aid you with the surprise really is a help!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.