Sunday, May 07, 2006

Leave 'em with your sold out reviews...

Over the last week or so, I've watched two movies and finished one book.

Firstly, I watched "15". It's quite an unusual film, made in Singapore, with a bunch of teenaged Singaporian guys as the actors (hence, my initial interest). I don't mind the subtitles, nor even the little culture shock there is invovled. But the film itself is like MTV on acid. Many quick cuts, flashing lights, werid sounds, little plot. There's lots of scenes of the guys shirtless, and even a full frontal fully erect shot at one point, but even so...the movie was just too weird for me.



It's supposed to be a commentary on the state of Singaporian youth of today, I think. And the film didn't use actors, but "real" street gangstas. I don't know. I think it was trying to be an Asian Kids but I don't think it succeeds. It was interesting watch in the beginning, but ultimately, I got lost in what passed for a plot, and grew bored.

The second movie I watched was Young Gods, or Hymypoika, by it's Finnish name. Yes, it was made in Finland...who knew they made movies? Anyway, I saw this film advertised because of supposed gay content and the hot actors. And yes, the actors ARE very hot, especially since most of the main ones are seen totally nude several times, and the guy playing Jere, Reino Nordin (the blonde on the cover) is seen several times full frontal, AND he's got a body and muscles that his baggy clothes don't reveal when he's wearing them. And there are a few gay scenes, but no real gay themes.

The movie is about this group of guys, just graduated from high school, who decide to film when they have sex and play it back for the others. As it sounds, lots of people get hurt, and it's not a very uplifting film. And despite all the sex that takes place, it's not an erotic film. I ended up feeling more sad for the characters than turned on. Even factoring in the cute actors, and the nudity, I don't think I really liked the movie. I didn't necessarily DISlike it, and I'd say if one is curious about it, to watch it. BUt I don't think I'd recommend it.

The book I read was "Light Before Day" by Christopher Rice. I liked his mothers books, I like Christopher rice himself (gay AND a hottie), and I liked his previous two books. SO I was just waiting for this one to come out in paperback (don't much like hardcover).


I got it and read it in the span of four days over a weekend. It got right from the start and I had to read it all the way through. It's a mystery, with some action scenes. And some minimal, not too graphic, gay scenes. To tell the truth, allt he plot twists and turns lost me once or twice, but I kept reading and it all became clear. ANd there were a bit too many characters that were introduced, but added nothing to the plot or the book itself. Just added confusion. Still, this book I would recommend, especially it you've read his first two an liked them!

POLT = listening to "Let The Beat Hit Em" by Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam

Sex is just like Phys Ed: sweaty, and tough, and sometimes you're gonna be afraid to his the showers. - Rory Lapointe, XY #36

No comments: