Sunday, May 21, 2006

Used to be a superhero, I would swoop down...

Superhero Sunday

Today, I give you Green Arrow.



1st Appearance: Nov 1941
Real Name: Oliver Queen
Powers: Excellent archer, trained hand-to-hand combatant, and above average strength and endurance
Origin: Oliver Queen was a millionaire playboy who was knocked overboard during a cruise. he was swept up on a deserted island, and fashioned a crude bow and arrows to help him survive. Upon returning to his home in Star City, he put on a Robin Hood costume for a party, and then stopped a crime. he liked the thrill of it, took the name Green Arrow and the rest is history.

My Thoughts: I was never a huge fan of Green Arrow, but I always did like him. I encountered him first in the Justice League, and I always like that he, just a normal guy with a bow and arrow, could fight alongside the big guns like Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. Also, in the late 70's when I started collecting, he was the voice of unabashed liberalism versus Hawkman's conservatism. But Green Arrow got so disillusioned by it all, by the fact the League would go out in space to fight aliens, and yet let the common people on earth just suffer with poverty, war, famine, etc, that finally, he quit the League in disgust. ANd that resonated in my early adolescent mind: having everything, but giving it up to help social equality..what a courageous and altruistic thing to do. Course, as time passed, he rejoined the League and left again during one of its shakeups, and was even killed and dead for a few years, although he's been resurrected (don't ask, its comics. happens all the time) and had his own title for a few years now. But thems the funny books for ya, I guess.

POLT = listening to "Second Hand News" by Fleetwood Mac

But then I think about the time, when we broke up before the prom, and you told everyone that I was gay. Okay. - LFO

No comments: