Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I want my, I want my, I want my MTV...

Not that anyone would notice, since they weren't doing any anniversary stuff, but yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the premiere of MTV. I checked in a few times, and every time, all I saw was "reality" programming: Next, Cribs, Pimp My Ride, etc. It's a shame really.




I remember reading about MTV in our local paper on Labor Day, at a picnic, the year it came out, 1981. I thought it was cool they were showing...what did they call them? Videos? But i didn't think it would catch on.

Fast forward 5 years, to my first semester in college. I had a tv and got cable up in SHippensurg, and thier cable system HAD MTV, unlike mine at home. SO I finally had MTV, and how cool was that??? I planned my day around the top 10 countdown, which was decided by viewers calling in and voting for thier favorite videos. This was the time of heavy metal dominating the air, though, so I wasn't really into most of the videos, but I loved having them.

Fast forward to 1990, I had moved back home and was commuting to college, and finally, our cable system got around to adding MTV, and I was so excited! The first thing I saw on MTV in my house was the MTV Video awards that year, and it was the year Madonna perfromed Vogue in the 18th century French clothes. I went nuts watching it...luckily my parents weren't home, I'd have felt silly. But that video made me admit to myself I actually enjoyed Madonna, which was a big start in my coming out process.

A few years later I didn't pay much attention to the first Real World, and only caught the second one sporadically, but I was GLUED to the third one. The one in San Francisco, with Pedro. Man, now THAT was what "reality" tv was all about!

And now...now...now, what do we have? Junk. Crap. and certainly NO videos...unless it's after midnight or WAY early in the morning.

It's sad. I'd wish MTV a happy 25th...but I prefer to just think of the happy memories I have of MTV times past.

POLT = listening to "Little Fluffy Clouds" by The Orb

You can't keep blaming yourself. Just blame yourself once and move on. - Homer Simpson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember and really enjoyed the music videos on MTV. I am a purist and wish they still made videos like that. They should have put all the reality on MTV2 and left well enough alone. I loved Madona singing Material Girl while men in tuxcedos danced around her. "We are living in a material world and I am a material girl".

Polt said...

Madonna, sigh...what's not to like, eh? :)