Monday, August 14, 2006

Like highway robbery and sometimes it's peanuts...

In a town near me there is this great store Greencastle Coffee Roasters. I love it not for the coffee (which i understand is varied and great, but I don't like coffee) but because they have Swedish fish, and even moreso, peanuts!




Roasted peanuts they roast there and sell by the bag: 1.2 pound, 1 pound, 3 pound and 5 pound. And the best part is, on Sundays and Wednesdays, the 3 and 5 pound bags are a dollar a pound! I've got me a hankering for peanuts, so when I was by there yesterday, i got a 3 pound bag. I brought it home and have made my way through a good portion of it.

I love shelling the peanuts, but I feel like an idiot when I do. See, as I shell them, the shells all come off in pieces. So I get shell, and the thin lining of around the nuts, all over whatever I'm opening the over. As well as myself, and the floor, and in my hair, and on the person next to me, on small household pets milling about, etc, etc, etc. I was covering in peanut debris, but I was content with the fruits...or nuts, or my labors.

Then, a few weeks back, I was enjoying some peanuts while hanging out with some friends. And as we talked, I noticed one friend take a peanut, squeeze it gently and had it pop open right in half. He then easily withdrew the nuts and discarded everything, with no mess. I was astonished! "How did you do that?" I asked. He didn't know what I meant, so I said, "Opened that nut without getting it all over."

"Oh you mean like this?" he said and then did it AGAIN! I was flabbergasted! I thought perhaps the first time was just luck, but NO, he actually could do it. All I could say was, "How..how..how..."

A second friend then said, "You mean you can't do it?" And he easily and cleanly popped a nut open! I was dumbstruck. They showed me how they were doing it, and had me try. And I couldn't do it. Oh, about every fifth or sixth nut I could open it, but with the remainer, now I was covered in their shattered remains. And my friends laughed at me, not only that I couldn't do it, but at my feeble attempts. SO I gave up, and just went back to ripping the shells apart.

But even now, as I eat some of these, I think of how they did it, and feel quite inferior. Aw screw 'em, at least I HAVE peanuts to eat! i bet hey don't! So there!

POLT = listening to "Steal My Sunshine" by Len

If I go there will be trouble, and if I stay it will be double! Darling, you've got to let me know, should I stay or should I go? - The Clash

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a restaurant by me that serves peanuts to you when you sit down at your table. Everyone shells them and throws them on the floor. Weird. I sure would hate to be the guy that cleans up every night.

Another peanut story. At my old house we had some friends over and were munching on peanuts long into the night. We left a big bowl of them out back overnight. In the morning I awoke to a loud ruckus outside. I looked and there were raccoons, squirrels and mock Jays all fighting over the peanut bowl. Very funny to watch.

Onanite

Polt said...

We had two restaurants that used to allow you to throw the shells on the floor. now they'd stopped. Guess it make walking too slippery or something.