Friday, August 18, 2006

Life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...

So this week, as I was flipping through the channels, I came upon the movie "The Forgotten." It was already about 10 minutes into it, and I normally don't watch movies once they've started, but I thought what the hell?



I remembered the previews I had seen, and it looked mildly interesting. And the information given by my digital cable thingee told me about it and added, "and watch for an unexpected twist ending!" And I thought, hey, that does sound interesting. Plus, I think Julieanne Moore is an outstanding actress. I loved nearly everything she's done since Boogie Nights. So I settled in to watch it.

***There are spoilers posted after this, so anyone NOT knowing about the movie but wanting to perhaps view it later, is advised to go no further***

So I'm watching this, kinda getting into it. Is it a government thing? Is it aliens? Is she truly mad? And I was loving the mystery of it all. And all along, I'm waiting for the "unexpected twist ending"! So at the point, where she's trying to get to her son in the room, and the "guy" is talking to her, and there is energy crackling through her, I thought "I got it! She IS hallucinating, and she's ina hospital and they're giving her electro-shock therapy! Soon, the screen will go black. And when it comes back up, it will she her eye opening and then pull back slowly to show her strapped done to a gurney, and the revelation that the whole thing's been in her head!"

And then....she finds her kid at the playground. And watches the "guy" walk away. And finds Ash and they start talking. And the screen goes black.

WHAT THE HELL?????

Where is the "unexpected twist ending"??? What was unexpected about all that?? It wasn't unexpected, it was stupid. It seemed the movie was going someplace, and then, in the end, they chickened out and didn't go there. Stupid Hollywood execs. I guess they wanted a "warm fuzzy happy" ending instead of something truly "unexpected" and a"twist". Bastards.

What a stupid waste of time that was. And what a disappointment. And a waste of talent:Ms. Moore, Alfre Woodard, Dr. Green from ER (forget his real name), the cute guy who played Ash (I didn't get his name), Gary Sinese, etc, etc.

If anyone's not seen it, and contemplating seeing it, I'd say pass. It's got some nice visuals, and it's interestingly shot, but overall, its' just not worth it.

POLT - listening to "Sunday Girl" by Blondie

"The tall lady's telling tales." "I'm gonna reach down and rip off his puny little face!" - CJ Cregg, The West Wing

4 comments:

katarina said...

I can't stand Julieanne Moore.

Anonymous said...

It really dosen't look as great as people make it out to be.

Sir John Galahad said...

You probably will not want to know now, but if you rent the DVD there is a second ending...which is slightly better. At least I felt like there was a better option....

And I'm curious, why are you coming to Toronto?

Polt said...

I saw online there was another ending that everyone seemed to have liked more. I doubt I'll rent the DVD just for the other ending though.

And I'm coming to Toronto for vacation. Will be my 14th trip since 1997. i LOVE Toronto!