Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Take it to the runway (Part 5)...

It's time once more for this week's...

A Project Runway Rundown, from a gay's and a straight man's perspective.
(This week, hosted by Muffin Church and Penny Fruitvale, our respective drag personas)

Finally, after a some internet connectivity issues on one of our parts (and there's no need to point fingers, so we'll not name names), we're finally up, Thursday morning with the review of Wednesday's episode.

Tonight's Episode: Welcome To The Jungle

First off, is Brooke Shields still not beautiful? Holy crap, she's gorgeous. I can only hope to be that attractive when I'm her age. Oh, wait, I think she is my age. Damn.
Actually, Dave S., I've seen your abs, remember...you ARE kinda as attractive as her. And speaking of such things, what do we get first thing this episode? Keith lifting weights! In a wifebeater!! And...Daniel lifts weights???? Anyway, moving on...

Okay, I gotta say that I think this entire episode was an attempt by the producers to try desperately to create some drama. But having said that, I think it was brilliant. What fun! Let's put our up-and-coming designers in a situation that may very well cause them to wield sharp object against each other, causing mayhem and hopefully some figurative blood.
Frankly, I was excited to have the first pair-up! It always creates some kinda drama, and since there's a few strong personalities here, I thought it's be great fun.

Granted, that didn't happen, but the anticipation was fun.
My take on the pairings?
Keith/Kenley - Frills and thrills
Kato/Joe - Orange???
Jarell/Stella - there could be fireworks here (course they both like hammering studs, so they should get along fine)
Kelli/Daniel - Leopard spots????
Terri/Suede - I dont see this one working.
Blayne/Leanna - like Brooke said, "Scary".

I don't know if Brooke was really thinking too clearly when she was choosing designs. I thought Daniel and Leanne had a great sketches, but weren't chosen, but Blayne -- c'mon *bermuda shorts*?!? -- and Korto were. And as much as I think Keith is great, his sketch was less than exciting.
I agree. Shorts...for a professional working woman? And Kato's orange and green color scheme???? What was Brooke thinking???

But choose she did and her choice of Keith, Korto, Terri, Blayne, Jerrell and Kellie were set in stone. Well, okay, maybe pumice. Keith choosing Kenley was interesting -- the passive personality selecting what is quite possibly the strongest personality. I thought for sure that sparks were going to fly, though apart from fabric choices, they disappointingly didn't. The most sparks seemed to be from the two that I thought would get along the best -- Terri and Suede. Suede is so full of himself that he simply couldn't work in tandem with another designer. Suede is *so* not liking doing someone's design. Suede doesn't like not getting chosen. Suede is really not interested in this challenge. The midway messes: Daniel totally screwing up Kellie's skirt, and Korto's dress portion of her outfit. I'm with Leanne: Korto's construction totally sucked.
Well I like that Jerell and Stella were gonna "tear it up"!
And we find out Daniel's not a fan of leopard. WE also find Daniel's rather self-centered, pouty, and NOT a team player.
"I don't know if he's packing balls or a vajayjay." - Terri about Suede.
And Stella does...wait for it....more studhammering.
Kenley's too opinionated for Keith...and for me as well.
Joe & Kato are gonna have a smackdown...and I don't know who would win.
Terri & Suede are fighting too.
Only Blayne & Leanne and Jerell & Stella don't seem to be having issues. Frankly, the Jerell/Stella pair surprises me. They were forced together, and I really didn't think they'd mess, but they seem to be doing well. "Stella's fantastic with leatha." - Jerell.

And just for those keeping tabs: Suede very early on used "I" instead of his name, although by 9:18, he was back to using Suede. And Blayne went until 9:33 to use his first 'licious' term. *SIGH* will these boys never learn?

And since I'm all about Leanne, I gotta tell you I'm thinking those oversized artsy glasses of hers are hot.
Miss Penny Friutvale, I know you're crushing on Leanne, but I gotta tell ya, I see her, I see...dowdy. I see schoolmarm. But hey, I think Blayne is somewhat cute, in an overlytanned, bubbleheaded, yappy dog kind of way, so what do I know?

Okay, let's hit the runway with my initial thoughts as they came down the runway...
And Miss Muffin Church's thoughts as well!

Korto: Ugh. The jacket is ugly. The dress is bad.
Ugh. (that's exactly what I wrote!) Jacket way too puffy. Dress plain but ok.
Kellie: Too simple. No life.
One word: Streetwalker.
Jerell: Pretty. Nice. Very bohemian.
Very nicely done.
Keith: Absolutelly awesome. It's a cool Tranformer dress!
I don't like the print, but very nice in total. Very well done.
Terri: Too young. Too 80's
I like it. Collar's a bit much, but still well done.
Blayne: Ugly!!! Beachwear. Doesn't work. Totally piecemeal.
Sloppy, not coherent, the shorts do NOT work!

Has anyone else noticed that when Daniel's on the runway before the judges, everytime they show him on camera, he looks lost? Like a deer in the headlights? Just an observation.

I agreed with the top two/bottom two. Keith's design was beautiful and cool at the same time, while Jerrell's answered the challenge very very well. On the bottom, Kellie's was just simply not very exciting and Blayne's was just fugly in a big way and executed poorly.
I agreed with the judges this far as well too. With Kelli's I'd say that it looks good, until you take the jacket off...then sheer streetwalker.

The judges got it right. As much as I liked Jerrell's dress, Keith took a risk and it paid off. Both dresses were stunning, but Keith win's by a hair in my book.
Nah, I think Jerell's was the better choice, although I'm not at all upset that Keith's design won.

On the other hand, I believe Blayne's outfit was far far worse than Kellie's. Though both were bad, I believe that what Blayne showed Brooke in the sketch was little like he presented to her on the runway. At least Kellie's had a bit of flair. I think Blayne and his diminishing tan should've been booted.
Oh absolutely! Kelli's was a bit slutty, but at least it worked together. Blayne's was all over the place, with the blue shirt, and the vest and the baggy undershirt thingee and the shorts...nothing worked together. He should have gone. However, do you think, maybe, because he said when asked that he should be the one to leave, essentially falling on his own sword, that maybe that's what kept him around? i thought it a surprising gesture. Especially when nearly all the others were ready to throw their teammate under the bus? Nah, probably had nothing to do with it. But I liked it nonetheless.

And I gotta say that Kenley is a complete ass for laughing like she did. What a complete and utter bitch. I can't *wait* for her to completely fuck up and get kicked out. Am I the only one that is quickly beginning to despise her?
I agree, but didn't you snicker a bit yourself when Daniel said he has "impeccable taste"?

Best line: " I'm nervous, but at least I'm not sending a nude model down the runway." (Kellie) I think maybe a nude model would have at least been more interesting...
Mine comes from Kelli as well: "At least I took a risk, even it if was too hoochie-mama."



Next week: Chris March! Drag Queens!! The most FABulous show in Project Runway history!!! And I'm fairly certain Muffin Church and Penny Fruitvale will be there too.

POLT Listening to "Starlight" by Muse

"That's impossible!" "Said the six inch soldier with a rocket pack." - Ray, Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters #4

9 comments:

Ryan said...

I liked it when Kenley laughed at Daniel. She expressed what everyone was feeling. You can't assert perfection immediately after showing off some of your fashion sins.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but Kenley has no tact whatsoever. She's basically an eloquent Stella. I have little tolerance for someone who makes fun of people so pettily. Yuck. What an unappealing person she's turning into. :-P

Anonymous said...

I agree with you guys about Blayne's design being the worst, and about him not following instructions at all. I think they kept him on more because he's more interesting ( by more interesting I mean whiny as heck.) My only problem with Keith's dress was the skirt. Don't get me wrong the entire outfit was gorgeous and he should have been one or two. But his skirt looked very similar to the one a few weeks ago he did when they took pictures of the city at night. Didn't that skirt also have a bunch of excess fabric stuck on it, like 5,000 kleenex boxes ready for the next sneeze? Anyway it's just a nitpick on my part.

Anonymous said...

Dee! Glad you could make it over! :-) I think you're right about them keeping Blayne. They've hardly focused on Kellie at all for most of this season. In fact, I think this episode was by far the most airtime she'd gotten (though I did miss the first episode). So in a tie, Blayne stays. But he should be totally humblicious.

Anonymous said...

Totally humblisious, you got that right.

I found Kenley's outburst completely unprofessional. The judges always talk about the real world and if she had done that in the real world she would have been committing political suicide. I don't think she is like Stella at all. Stella is completely transparent and honest, if a bit rough. Kenley appears to use her looks and personality as tools of manipulation.

I think there is something wrong with Daniel. He almost seems to be dissociating.

I agree Keith's was best, but I really loved Jerell's too (even though I thought it was a bit busy). And I am sooo glad that Stella and he kicked ass.

Favorite quote: Balls or vajayjay.

Dave S. I agree, Leanne is getting hotter and hotter. Smart and funny make hot in my book.

I'm bummed Terri went home, I liked her. I thought Blayne's design and execution were worse, but I think they think he makes for good television.

Anonymous said...

Polt: Are you listening to Joe? Leanne = hotness. ;-)

I have to admit, now that Joe mentioned it, that I really was happy to see Stella working well with another designer. She comes off as such a loner that I never thought that she'd work well as a subordinate -- and she surprised me.

Anonymous said...

I meant john. Are you listening to *john*...

Sorry, john... :-P

Polt said...

Yes, Dave S., I am listening to Joe, or john or whatever the hell his name is.

But since I'm more attracted to balls than vajayjays, I'm never gonna see Leanna in the light you guys see her in. The only light I see her in is one that makes her dowdy. I think she has potential, but it's like she's covering it all up with the clothes she wears and the lack of a hairstyle and stuff.

Pretty good designer, though.

HUGS...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joe, or john or whatever the hell his name is.

I'm hurt.

Really.

Not *really*.

Give Leanne time, she has potential. Sure she doesn't have an orange tan or balls for that matter, but she isn't entirely tragic.