Monday, August 18, 2008

Would you like to take walk?, mmm, do you think...

Saturday night, when i got home from work, a few things crossed my mind. I thought how beautiful the day was. I thought I'd like to eat a sub from Gracie's Place. And I thought how I sure certainly get out and get some exercise. So i put them all together and walked out to Gracie's to get a sub.

A number of you have no clue about this, but accordng to Mapquest, it's 1.77 miles, one way. I left the house at 4:34 pm and got back at 6:05pm. In an hour and a half, I walked 3.5 miles. And this is up and down some pretty decent hills too. But while it was warm, there was a cool breeze, and the humidity was next to nothing, so it was a great walk.

I walked behind the schools and then through the Renfrew Park. This is the way I walked to school all my life: First behind the high school, then behind the Middle School (at the time, it was called a Junior High school) and then finally to the elementary school. When I was in elementary school, for like 7 years, almost every non-raining or snowing day, I walked this walk. Satruday, by the time I got to the Middle school, my legs were aching, I was sweating, and almost worn out. But back then, I was a kid, not a nearly middle-aged, overweight man that gets next to no exercise. But still quite sad.

Renfrew is over a hill behind the elemenary school. It's a museum and park area. A lady lived there until the early 70's, and then left it to the town. At any rate it's a great little place now, and I got to walk through it.

My legs were sore, but not achey. I thought they'd all cramp up and stuff. But they didn't last night, nor were they when I woke up. I think I might have to try to do this again.

I took a bunch of photos along the way, I'll post some here.

The sky was beautiful!


Walking behind the high school, I took a photo of the addition they're doing right now. It's supposed to increase the size by like 60%. Crazy. If you look close up in the upper left corner, you'll see a bunch of windows. That is the only part of the existing building in the photo, everything else you see is new, just added in the last year or so.


As I said, I used to walk this way everyday, and there was a sidewalk there. You can see the sidewalk leading down to the bridge, that's the one I used to walk, but as you can also see, the portion of it leading up to the high school has been obliterated. It's been covered over with dirt and leveled off to make a flat area to put the building in the previous photo on. I wonder if they'll put another sidewalk up when they're done.


This is the bridge crossing a small stream. When I was walking, it was just a concrete plank across. But a few years after I left school, the track and field coach that had been there for years, died of cancer. They put this new bridge up, a wooden one, with sides and everything and dedicated it to him. Nice gesture.


As I mentioned, a beautiful sky and beautiful day.


Summitview, my elementary school. Was there Kindergarten through 6th grade.


Summitview is on the right, the Middle School on the hill in in the back. In the middle, if you notice there is a line of trees and such going to the left of the photo. That's a small stream that comes out of a pipe and flows to the left. When I attended school there 30 years ago, there was no overgrowth, we could, and did, easily jump over the stream. And that tree there at the start of it, wasn't there at all when i was there. Funny how things change.


A path down the hill from the schools towards Renfrew.


The Renfrew barn in the distance.


There's a little cemetary on the way that has some of the earliest residents of Renfrew there.


There's a stone wall roughly a yard or so high behind the house. Those steps are the only way across it, short of climbing over. That's how I got across.


That's the back of the main house.


Back in 1976, when I was in the 3rd grade, everybody had to draw a pciture, or do a craft or make something that showed what life was like in 1976. Then each classroom chose the best one, and that one was put into a time capsule at Renfrew, not to be opened until 2076. I have no idea what I drew, but I remember my class chose mine from our class. I was quite proud. I remember we had a ceremony then when they buried it, and I was sad that I probably wouldn't be there to see it opened. But that's the top of the time capsule between my feet.


The front of the house.


In front of the house is Antietam Creek, and that bridge crosses it.


There's a lot of woods around Renfrew and there are a few trails running through them.


On the way back, at the top of the hill I took this photo. You can see Summitview the elementary school on the right, the middle school in the middle right, and if you look really hard in the back, you can see behind the middle school the yellow bricks of the high school.


And lastly, on the way home, I say the first Obama sign I have seen in Waynesboro.

You should know I have a hard time making a post and not having something political in it.

POLT Listening to the Olympics

You're lucky I don't shoot you in the head and bury you upstate. And believe me, the hole is dug. - Penguin, Batman #628

3 comments:

S said...

Well now, wasnt that a fun tour of your town? I love all the green. This time of year its so dry around here...cant wait for the rain!

:P

Anonymous said...

This seems like a really nice, peaceful area. I always like anywhere with a forest.

exile said...

a gay man sneaking around a highschool taking pictures...

i'll write to you in prison