Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Take it to the runway (Part 7)...

Now, it's time for....


A Project Runway Rundown from a gay man's and a straight man's perspectives

Well, kids, being the political junkie that I am, I've spent this week doing little in the evenings but watching the Democratic Convention. That includes tonight. So I told Dave S. this week it was all him. However, in between the end of former President Bill Clinton's speech and the beginning of future Vice-President Joe Biden's speech, I did flip over to watch the show. All I saw was the last twenty minutes or so of the show, basically, the runway walk on.

I'll just add my two cents quickly, saying that I was WAAAY off from the judges this week. I thought Terri's was the best, and I thought Jerell's was the worst. I found it disturbing, but that might be because I thought the hairthing he has going on on his model's head was distracting to me.

I'm still seeing dowdy schoolmarm when I see Leanne, but I did think she was really cute when she smiled at the end. And dammit I was sad to see Keith go, just for the hunky factor. Blayne and Jerell are easy on my eyes, but they're not hunky like Keith was. Ah well, I'd GLADLY volunteer to get him out of Utah and dry his tears....poor dear....poor hunky dear....

And without further ado, I turn it all over to Dave S. Take it away...


Tonight's challenge, from the top of a parking garage, is to use the materials in a Saturn (a Saturn?! Hondas are *so* much sexier...) to create an "innovative" outfit.

My first thought: Stella's gonna kick some serious ass at this challenge. But then she started talking about what she was planning. *Not* leather?! Cute?! Pretty?!? Good lord, she's going to crash and burn...

And Kenley. Sheesh -- even when she's talking normal, she sounds like she's whining. And that was before she *really* started whining after her model dropped out of the competition.

Leanne's outfit started out great and just kept getting better. The idea of fraying the seatbelt fabric was ingenious. And beautiful. Just like her. :-)

Blayne's sketch looked awesome. Great design. But then he started constructing it and realized that he couldn't make it work like he was hoping. A change in direction caused a downhill spiral that wasn't completely evident until his model walked down the runway.

Terri was a bitch by laughing at Korto's jacket dress. Of course, Korto had the last laugh on the runway.

We were into the show an entire 10 minutes before Suede mentioned himself in the third person. And that was the only time. So that begs the question: Is it Suede or the producers who are getting bored with it? And Blayne used "licious" only once when he called their erstwhile mentor "Timlicious." Which is just wrong on so many levels...

Okay, so we gotta talk about Keith. His stress level was so high that I was getting tense just watching him. He kept focusing on toning down his design to match what the judges had been telling him. But they didn't tell him to tone it down, they simply were looking for a different technique. He worried me from the start when he talked of his outfit being "fitted and toned down." And worse that he was doing it to appease the judges. No no no! Then he started getting cocky. "I just feel like I deserve it more than the others." There's an old saying, Keith: Never ask for what you deserve.

Okay, let's hit the runway...

Jerell: Interesting. Futuristic. But the boobs were totally odd. Who would want their breast squished into a horizontal, kinda droopy shape? The detailing was nice though.
Keith: Boring. Certainly not innovative.
Terri: Not bad. Nice lines. Nothing overly new, but pretty.
Kenley: Okay, but the overall shape was somewhat flat. The flange on the skirt was different, but a bit clown-collar-ish.
Leanne: Stunning. Amazing skirt. Great stitching throughout. Well tailored.
Suede: Really nice. Well done.
Korto: Beautiful. A bit stiff-looking, but I gotta say that she really pulled it off. Looked great.
Blayne: Stiff and puckering. He went all Keith on this one. And it didn't work for *him* either. The mirror pieces added to the horror.
Joe: Interesting. I really liked the Saturn logo panel on the front. Very clever. However, the construction of it wasn't very good.
Stella: Interesting, but not quite there. The top and bottom didn't match.

Top 3: Jerrell, Korto, and Leanne.
Bottom 3: Blayne, Keith, and Stella.

The judges once again got it right. Leanne was the winner (and likely won easily). One of the judges said that she could see it on a Paris runway and I definitely have to agree. A gorgeous piece of work. This is twice now that Leanne's won -- she just may have what it takes to make it to the final runway.

And Keith (sadly) is out. Not only didn't he answer the challenge, but he failed it by reigning himself in. And criticizing the critics probably didn't help his case any. I'm sad to see him go. When he was on, he was on, but his insecurities got the best of him.

No outstanding lines this time around, except for a heart-wrenching one from Keith at the end: "I'm going home for something that wasn't me." :-(

Next week: A "fashion legend"! But I have no idea who she is... (Should I?)
Dave S. you're so terminally straight (in a good way) that I guess it's okay you don't know who she is. But don't worry, I still love ya.



Next week: Diane Von Furstenburg! And lot of HUGEness! And will NINAGARCIA be back???

POLT Listening to the Democratic Convention

It is possible that blondes also prefer gentlemen. - Mamie Van Dorn

3 comments:

lime said...

keith's and stella's were terrible, but when keith's model turned around and i saw that gap and the black thing hanging down...eeesh. bad bad bad.

i did like leanne's but those weird bumps on the hips were just strange to me. why?

Anonymous said...

I'm like Polt was watching the Dems. Great speeches tonight by Kerry, Bill Clinton and Biden.

I will try to catch a re-run of Runway on the tv or on the web.

I did watch it and read you guys last week and agreed with you both, but didn't comment. So I figured I'd pop over even without having anything to contribute to the discussion. Just to let you know I'm still paying attention. (Political junkie that I am.)

Anonymous said...

My first thought was Oh shit, Keith is going home.
I love Stella all whored up.
Suede went from third person to “whackadoodle” and it’s not an improvement.
Kenley, two words: stop whining.
Oh crap, Keith is going home. (I deserve it more is the kiss of death.)
Stella hooked her self a leather daddy, what a shock. “Aiight I love you too.”
I always liked Laura.
Rachel Zoe is disturbing.

Jerell: like the use of materials, but the dress is a little slutty
Blayne: Laura’s comment was perfect. I like the idea, not the execution.
Korto: I really like it, the sleeves were really cool. I love how she used the different patterns to her advantage.
Leanne: Awesome! Great seaming and details. Love the shape.
Stella: Random is the best description.
Keith: Put the shovel down man, you aren't helping. He’s going home.

Leanne deserved to win. Korto is a close second. Jerell is a third. (in my opinion).

Oh and what was the look Michael Khors gave him when Keith left. Wow, Keith is a *very* emotional dude. Polt, you may have to make a trip to console him.