Monday, August 11, 2008

Young swimmers in these sun dialing times...

So, who watched the Olympics last night? Who stayed up late to watch the Men's 400 meter Relay? Was that a race or WHAT??? Oh my GOD!

I mean, the top 5 teams, two teams that didn't even medal, beat the previous world's record!!! How does something like that happen??? And then the finish...oh MAN. When Lezak started the last leg, and I saw he was like a half body length behind the French, I was resigned to the fact we'd get the silver. And this was not too long after I saw the American woman just be inched out by the British swimmer. I really wanted to see an American win the Gold Medal last night, but it didn't look like they were gonna do it.

And then, the last half of the last leg, Lezak's like catching him. And I sat up on the couch and started cheering. Then I was yelling. I was yelling for him to "Hurry up! Hurry up! C'mon...c'mon....c'monc'monc'monc'MON!" And then, when it flashed up on the screen that we were first, that we had won, well, I just right up off the couch, threw my fists in the air (smacking them onto my low ceiling) and yelling, and cheered, and crowed! Oh it simply unbelievable! It was outstanding!! It was Gold Medal worthy!

I don't remember getting that wound up about a sporting event since one of the Cowboys games last fall when they came back in Detroit from far behind to win it at the end. I was all smiles, and cheering and jumping up and down (thankfully, in the apartment below me, the girl there doesn't have her bedroom right under my living room).

This, my friends THIS is why I like to watch the Olympics. I was just telling mom yesterday I was liked watching them cause I wanted to witness history as it happened. I remember that runner's dad helping him across the finish line that I posted about before. I remember watching Kerri Strug do the Gold Winning vault with an injured ankle. I remember watching as Greg Louganis hit his head on the board, got stitches, and then came back to win the gold. I watched them all as they happened. And now I got to see this, as it happened.


Outstanding. But I also like the footage of Phelp and that cute Garrett kid cheering Lezak on as he approached the end, and then their celebration afterwards.


And that really cute black swimmer Cullen James...well, he wasn't there at the time, but...well, damn he sure is cute too. I can't wait to watch more of the Olympics, especially tonight: More Phelps swimming AND men's gymnastics. grrrrr....

POLT Listening to "Stronger" by Kanye West

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm out country and our people, and neither do we. - George W. Bush

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed that moment, and now since it's been all over the news, I feel like I missed something really special! I know what you mean about those Olympic moments. It may be corny as hell, but to this day I still get choked up when I see Kerri Strug do that vault!

(My football equivalent would be the Giants winning the Super Bowl this year.)

Anonymous said...

As a Canadian it is mandatory that I cheer against the US, that younger sibling inferiority complex you know, but it was pretty freaking amazing. Anyone who comes from behind like that gets ALL the credit. And hell, the eye candy after was well worth it.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Sorry...did you say something...was too busy drooling! LOL

Seriously, I share the same thought with you...I love these moments...and that is why I enjoy watching the Olympics too!