Friday, August 22, 2008

She lost and turned out, rotten teeth in her mouth...

Last night, the door to a store I was entering slid open, as it usually does. There was a woman on the other side waiting to come out. We both kinda just stood there. I waved her out. She waved me in. We tried to go at the same time, and then stopped again. Finally, I insisted she go first, and we both laughed.

As she passsed me, she slapped my arm and said something like, "I always knew you were a gentlemen." I laughed and started in the store when she said, "You don't know me do you?" And in truth I didn't. She said she was Monica. It took me a few beats to realize who she was. 20 years ago, when I was hanging out with Duff and the gang, one of them, Joe was dating Monica. And this was her.

I didn't recognize her because the Monica I knew was a tad plump with long blond always-perfectly-coiffed blond hair. This Monica was extremely skinny, with short cropped hair...and kinda disgusting somewhat rotted teeth. I immediately got an idea of anorexia, or because of the teeth damage, perhaps bulimia.

We chatted for about a minute. I don't recall what I said because I kept thinking, "Oh, Monica, what have you done to yourself." It was quite sad.

But kinda neat that she remembered me after 20 years. And I KNOW I've changed in 20 years, not the least of which is that I've put on probably 60 pounds since then. And that led me to wonder...is she wondering what happened to me, like I was to her?

POLT Listening to "Born Too Slow" by The Crystal Method Oil: 114.78 (-6.52); Gas: 3.55 (-.01)
RealClearPolitics Poll Averages: Obama +1.4
"Giganta, what's the rule?" "*SIGH* Heroes don't pulp." - Giganta, Justice League Unlimited #38

4 comments:

S said...

I'm going to guess speed, or heroin. That stuff makes peoples teeth rot. I had a pal addicted to heroin, he wanted to be Jerry Garcia.....and after he kicked it, he had to get braces just to keep his teeth from falling out....

Anyway, she might have wondered that...but we all get older...seems like your gentlemanlyness is what impressed her most!

:X

PS Susie would never date a man in a speedo whose tummy was larger than hers!:P

Anonymous said...

My first guess was gonna be crystal meth, that stuff does a real number on folks.

Bunny said...

Of course you are a gentleman - I would expect nothing less! I think you are the quintessential nice guy; but what you've heard is wrong - nice guys DO NOT finish last. Look how many people adore you - nice is definitely working for you.

I'm with Ray - Monica sounds like a meth-head. My parents' neighbor went from a beautiful young woman to a scary hag in a few short years due to meth. She's clean now, but has false teeth, top and bottom, at age 35.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that drugs messed up your teeth. Are you sure this wasn't a Teach Me Something Tuesday?... ;-)