Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Take it to the runway (Part 6)...

It's time for this week's installment of...

A Project Runway Rundown from a gay man's and a straight man's perspectives
(And back this week are Muffin Church and Penny Fruitvale, our drag personas)


Tonight's episode: Good Queen Fun

This was a great challenge. It was great from a couple of perspectives. One, it was something that the designers don't get much -- something that they can totally let loose on and be completely outrageous and not get penalized for it. The second is that it was a real *challenge* -- they not only had to create a design for a faux female body but had to appease a client as well. A tough combination all around.
Yeah, and let me say first off that I thought it ironic that the two people having the biggest problem with the challenge, because it was "outside their comfort zones", Joe and Korto, turned in two of the best designs.

The drag queens were a hoot. Fun, over-the-top, and everything you expect a dragster to be. And to see them in their "male" form was jarring. Several were absolutely hideous as men, but great as women. Who knew?!
Just a helpful hint, Dave S., if you're around drag queens, don't call them dragsters. I don't think they'd appreciate it. And yeah, they ARE a hoot! I lurve me some good drag shows. Don't the names just SLAY you? Farrah Moans, Miss Understood, Sharon Needles, Annida Greenkard! Bwahahahah...love it, LOVE it!

Since there was absolutely no drama whatsoever -- not even any manufactured drama -- I'll have to skip anything that had didn't have to do with the challenge itself.
I felt Blayne was in trouble from the get-go. What was that pink monstrosity that he was attempting to create? It looked like a pink-wrapped ick with fringe.
And Keith wasn't faring much better. Strips of cut fabric *again*?! Keith, dude, I love you, man, but you gotta stop with the piece-meal schtick.
And Suede's issues with Heda Lettis was a concern. I was thinking that it was a bit too cartoon and not enough real *design*. Let's not play the lettuce card too obviously there, Mr. My-client-don't-know-shit-about-what-they-should-be-wearing.
I got a few things to add here: It only took Suede 5 minutes into the show to refer to himself in the third person, but it took Blayne a full 12 minutes to utter his first "licious". Course when he did, he unloaded with a sunami of "licious"-ness. Seriously, will these girls NEVER learn, UGH?

Stella said she's "bringing the slick" but she was buying plaid? And then Stella was "busting out an awesome dress". And later, Stella hammers more studs. Even though she's a bit....grating, I'm liking Stella for her single-mindedness. On and on the runway, was I the only one who thought Stella looked like a drag queen herself? You just know, in some gay club somewhere in the nation, there's a queen readying her Stella-gear even as we speak!

Oh and then Leanne's comments on barfing at Blayne's licious-nesses, and then saying she'd be 'barf-ilicious' was genius. And for the first time, I thought I could see the cuteness you've been seeing in Leanne.

I'm quite not down with Suede's whole "pappy came and helped me with dress ideas" schtick. Not sure what that was all about. It did NOT endear him to me.

Unfortunately, we only get Keith in a black wifebeater this week, but damn he looks good in it!

I think they did have some drama: the Suede-Hedda stuff...but, like most tv sitcoms, the drama all resolved with understanding and a hug after the next commerical. BORING.

And Jerell was all about that damn collar. But when she had it up, being all green and stuff, the whole look reminded me of a lizard.

So, the runway rundown:
Yep, let's roll!
Rupaul! I gotta admit, even as a straight guy, I think Rupaul is kick-ass. Who can make it in the entertainment world simply on the fact that they're a drag queen? Rupaul. Brilliant entertainer in that regard. Though her look on the show was dreadful. Maybe you should take a trip to the next hour and have one of the Shear Genius hairdressers make you up, honey, because that was a *mess*.
Oh, I'm so with you on the mess, Dave S. What the hell was up with her hair? Did she just come in out of the rain? I've seen RuPaul do a FIERCE drag look, and baby, this was NOT it.

Kenley: Sharp and pretty. Nice.
Don't like the feathers.
Blayne: Awful. It was falling apart and those wings did nothing for me or that model.
I thought it fit the model's look, although the droopy wings were distracting.
Joe: Cool. Different than everything else on that runway. Loved the little hat up top -- nice touch.
I LOVED the hat too! Outstanding! It's fun and it TOTALLY fits her look and personality!
Stella: Nice, but not over the top, like a good drag queen should be.
She had her leatha in the dress, as well as the plaid, and somehow it worked.
Suede: Heda looked more like Poison Ivy in a stewardess uniform than a drag queen. Ick.
All I wrote was "Too short. Too green. Too bad."
Daniel: *Way* too simple. No drama at all. It was a transvestite wearing his wife's dress.
Plain, boring. I see the flaminco thing he was going for, but really, there was so MUCH more he could have and should have done with this.
Terri: Awesome. Absolutely stunning. Dramatic. A great response to the challenge.
I don't get it. It's not coherent, it's all over the place. I hate it.
Jerrell: Cool. Poor waist, but nice flip-up collar.
The model worked the dress just right, and the collar turned out well, but the whole thing isn't terribly flattering.
Korto: Great. And the tear-away skirt was awesome.
Pull away skirt was an awesome idea, as were the flames. She's GOT it!
Keith: Didn't work. Not only did it have bad color, but it wasn't exciting like a drag queen ought to be.
I was not impressed. It's just kinda....there...
Leanne: Nice. Futuristic, which was a good compliment for the character of her client. But it was only good, not great. And the color was rather dull.
It's too...wild. Too, out there, even for a drag queen. Not her best work.

The best in my opinion was Terri -- she answered the challenge in spades.
The worst, Daniel -- he created a normal dress for a less-than-normal person. Keith was close behind, but at least he made something that was at least a bit more over-the-top.
Oh I was waaaay on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, Dave S. I thought Joe was definitely the best, but I thought Terri's was horrid and the absolute worst.

The judges chose Joe as the top. At first I thought it was an odd choice, but as I talked with the two buddies I was watching it with -- a big Italian guy and a total sports guy -- they reminded me that the outfit totally complimented all the curves in the right places and de-emphasized the more "manly" places. Okay, I can buy that. Especially since it was coming from two of the most masculine men I know. Which is pretty damn funny in so many ways.
Okay, first let me point out you're three straight "masculine" men all watching Project Runway???? That's be like me and two of my gay buddies watching NASCAR, how does THAT happen? not that I'm complaining, I think it's grand that you guys are interested in drag queen fashion.
Back to the show...of the options given by the judges, I gotta say for the first time this year, they were on the mark. I totally agree with the results. I attribute the judges correct decision making to RuPaul's influence.

But I still think Terri's was kick-ass.
Althought I still think Terri's ass needed kicked off, for this randomcrazy design.

And I completely agreed with their choice of Daniel to be out. He hasn't met the challenge for a while and he is *always* defensive when criticized. Good riddance and auf weidersein.
Right there with ya, bud.

But the biggest travesty was that Blayne didn't even make it in the bottom three with that mess of an outfit. Bad bad bad. He deserved Jerrell's spot without question.
I don't agree. Blayne's costume perfectly fit his model's look. I don't think that dress would have worked on any of the other models, but on this one, it worked.

Best line:
"Your boobs are so big!" - Heidi (sorry, I'm a boob guy...)
Hehehe, yeah I like that one too! But I've got a few others:
"Let's get some German food." "Oooh, pretzels and beer!" - Heidi
I don't need to rely on a costume. Have you SEEN me? - LeMay
We like a titty hanging out. - Terri
Flotsom and jetsom everywhere. - Tim Gunn
And my personal favorite:
You DO work it. - Timm Gunn



Next week: Rooftops, difficult materials, and Laura's the guest host!!!

POLT Listening to "Touched By The Hand Of God" by New Order

Death is a great career move for an artist. - Monty, It's My Party

2 comments:

lime said...

LOVED joe's design. and also loved how he worked with his client and took her suggestion as to how to improve it overall. terri's i thought was weird. way too much going on in that design. hated it.

Anonymous said...

This challenge kicked ass! I thought it was hysterical. The models were awesome, it takes courage for a big man to go out as a big girl.

Joe's outfit was the best in my opinion, but I also loved Terri's and Korto's. I agree with Polt that Terri's was all over the place, but it fit her model's look and persona which made it for me. Korto's model looked beautiful and more importantly, she looked like she felt beautiful in it. Joe's design really worked for his model's back yard.

Keith totally choked, it was awful all around. With that said, Daniel's was worse. He just didn't get it. At all. And I am so glad I don't have to see that dear caught in the headlights look of his on stage. That boy's bulb definitely flickers.

Polt, I am glad you are seeing the virtues of Leanne. Think hot librarian. I hate to admit this, but I think Kenley is going to the top 3 and it really urks me. I will say it this way to account for the editing potential, but she is coming off as a hideous and unprofessional person.

So, guys, I need your help on this. Did I hear Heidi say something about 7 years without sex? Is that a Vulcan reference? Could they be designing clothes for Vulcans or am I totally off track?

This series of posts is great guys, I love reading your comments and your take on the series.