Monday, November 28, 2005

Everybody'd be surfing, surfing USA...

So I was surfing the Net over the past few weeks (like what else IS there to do at work), and came upon several disperate things. Instead of posting them all seperately, I think I'll just plop them all down on one now.

1) Firstly is a quote from DC Gays Of Our Lives , which never ever fails to give me a chuckle and a half: "Ok so I'm sure my Thanksgiving will be filled with my mother getting drunk and setting relatives on fire, my aunt and grandfather sitting in the corner with the sushi that my aunt will invariably bring in her purse, and me trying to stay sober enough to not pass out and drunk enough to put up with the mayhem."
Hmmm, and you thought YOUR family get together's were a trip, eh?

2) Next is from The Inside Dope: "Bush's visit to Mongolia, the first by any president, was to thank Mongolia, a member of the "coalition of the willing" for sending 120 troops to Iraq. Kind of pathetic when you think about it. But say what you will about Bush, he'll always be the first U.S. president to visit Mongolia." Bushie flies all the way to Mongolia to thank them for sending 120 troops, but will he fly to New Orleans in days after hundreds of American citizens died? Or will he fly to New Orleans (just a state away form the Crawford ranch) to thank New Orleans for the soldiers they've contributed, which I'm sure is more than 120? Nope. Not as good a photo op there I suppose.

3) This too is from The Inside Dope, and he issued a challange. "We're a bit rough on Bush Jr. around here, and he's having a hard time these days, what with people finally beginning to come out of their mass hypnosis, a prosecutor that's not in their pocket poking around the White House, and a decorated hawkish Marine saying enough is enough and having the nerve to actually say the Emperor has no clothes.

So in an attempt to be more "fair and balanced", here's a chance for anyone and everyone to point out what Bush has gotten right.

This should be a piece of cake, after all, he's been in office for nearly 6 years now.

He won office promising to be a "compassionate conservative", surely there's a long list of things he's accomplished which has benefitted those in need or at risk, the very young and the elderly. Surely there's instances of great success in domestic issues which have made our society stronger, healthier, and better educated.

His economic record must surely contain something which can be pointed to with pride as raising the quality of live for all and further spreading financial opportunity to more people.

Certainly there must be things you could point to where he's expanded rights and freedoms for the American people and efforts made to combat racism and prejudice towards more equal opportunity for all of America's citizens so they can better themselves, have a shot at the American dream, and contribute to a more prosperous and free citizenry.

His foreign policy must contain at least a few great accomplishments for making the world a more peaceful and stable place, or at least strengthening our aliances and relationships with countries, peoples, and cultures around the globe.

It should be a cinch. Use extra paper if you run out of room.

I make the same challange to any of the readers of the Palace. All Bushie's supporters out there (I know there's a few of you that read here), now's the time to come to your guy's defense! Tell us all what's he's done in 6 years that's worth mentioning! Tell us why your' proud to have voted for him twice, or even once. What has he done that's earned your loyalty? I am seriously curious to know. (I promise I won't ravage your answers too harshly).

4) This came from Between Engagements blog: Well . . . John Roberts had only been on the federal bench for two years or so--and had done little besides blow his nose during that time. Samuel Alito has been there for 15 years. And besides the bit about women having to ask their husbands for permission before getting an abortion, he's also ruled that keeping large numbers of automatic weapons in your home couldn't possibly pose a threat to the crime rate and/or the public safety, and that it's perfectly alright for the police to strip-search a six-year old girl in her home (the terms "strip search" and "six-year old girl" are not normally elements in the same sentence, at least not in any universe that I inhabit). Add to this the usual anti-abortion and pro-business boilerplate that clogs the mind of a successful, well-heeled conservative, and you have a world view that believes that life is sacred--until someone is born that is. After that, well, I've Got Mine and You Can Take a Flying Leap . . .

So, this still the guy you all want on the Supreme Court? I guess as long as your wife is barefoot and pregnant, and you've got a few Uzi's in the bedroom closet, and you don't mind police touchign all over your daughter's naked body, nope, you shouldn't have any problem with him being there.

5) And this is a link to a great post. It's a bit long for me to repost here, but please, avail yourself of it! It's located here at SokPuppet.

6) And then tonight, I got this off of Yahoo: SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes mostly from defense contractors in exchange for government business and other favors. "The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."
Another Republican in DC bites the dust. With Scooter, Frist, Rove, DeLay, and who knows how many within the White House itself, look like the brush of scandal is hitting most of the Grand Old Party. When will it stop? God, I hope not too soon.

POLT = listening to "Rebel Prince" by Rufus Wainwright

Inexperience is more cahrming when coupled with an earnest willingness to learn.

No comments: