Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Enough is enough, that's when you know you're halfway there...

I'm posting this on a break from the polls. Not that we're so busy I need a break, it's cause we're so dead that I need a break. WE've got roughly 900 or so registered voters in our precinct. Of that, as of about 130 pm, the halfway point, we have had roughly 45 voters. Arrgghh. At this rate, when it ends tonight at 800, we MIGHT have 100 voters.

Its not the worst I've seen it though. Before they did some redistricting a few years ago, there were only about 250 voters in our precinct, and one time we had a grand total of 37 voters...and that included the 5 members of the polling board who had to sit there all day.

Today, I've read the local paper, the Washington Post, attempted to complete the Washington Post Crossword, read the latest issue of Rolling Stone, and the latest AAA magazine that I get each month and never even look at. I cracked open a short book i have, only aobut 100 pages on "How To Become A Canadian" or something like that..looks like I'll get that finished today. I haven't yet broken out the iPod...I'm saving that for the really slow and desperate times of the mid afternoon. ANd if worse comes to worse, there's pews in the church's chapel for me to sleep on, or, as I've discovered in the past, the carpeted floor on the nursery room is pretty comfortable for napping, IF you take one of the pillows out of the cribs for your head. (hey, I've a veteran of the election board, I KNOW how these things work)

Anyway, hope you day is a little more exciting than mine. Nonetheless, it is my civic duty. hey, some people join the military, others join the national guard, others still donate thier tiem to charity. me? I sit in the gymnasium of a local church all day, twice a year, and hand out ballots to senior citizens....oh, and snack on all the snacks we bring. And drink lots of Pepsi. I know, its tough, but somebody's gotta do it.

POLT = listening to "Baba O'Riley" from The Who

They say the next big thing is here, that he revolution's near, but to me it seems quite clear, that it's all just a little bit of history repeating. - The Propellorheads

No comments: