Monday, November 21, 2005

We are chasing squirrels now....

After work, I parked in the back and was walking up through the yard. I walked between our house and the neighboring one. There is a large tree with these vines covering it. As I apporached it, I noticed the vines were moving and the leaves on it were rustling. My first thought was that the wind must be blowing through it. But as I got near it, I realized the wind wasn't blowing. And the rustling had grown louder and more active.

And then, suddenly something dropped out of it and hit the ground in some leaves. I jumped and then froze. And then I saw the shape move around, and saw it was a squirrel, righting himself onto all four legs. I wasn't moving, and neither did he, but I could see him looking at me. And I presume he could see me looking at him.
it was a like a standoff in an old Western. And then he moved. No, he didn't just move. he liked...jerked quickly to the right. and the movement scared me again, but this time, instead of jumping, I might have made a noise...not unlike a squeal from a little girl, or a scream from the chick about to get slaughtered in your average horror movie.

And the squirrel moved again. ANd I never knew squirrels moved in blurs. All I saw was a grayish blur, and I took off for the house. My thought was, my GOD, the thing is rabid! I ran a few steps towards the front of the house, and then looked over my shoulder. He was already back up disappearing into the branches. It was only then that I laughed at myself.

But I tell you what, tomorrow when I walk to my car, I'm avoiding that tree. I don't want no squirrel dropping on my head!

POLT = listening to "Pennyroyal Tea" by Nirvana

Maybe the next time I tell you how much I hate magic, you won't give me THAT look. - Batman, JLA #64

2 comments:

katherine said...

Very funny! Thanks for sharing.

m_o_o_nspells said...

LOL...for real!
I, on the other hand, usually seek the little critters out...had one come right up and touch my shoe yesterday, looking for peanuts (which reminds me that I need to pick some up; I promised!). ;o)Absolutely adorable little furries but you're right, I wouldn't want one falling on my head either! Keep your eyes on the skies!