Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mysterious, I want your mind...

Saw Mysterious Skin over the weekend.


It was somewhat distrubing, but that's why I enjoyed it. It faces child molestation full frontal and doesn't flinch from the results of it. The boldness of it made me uncomfortable in parts, but frankly, I was glad to be made uncomfortable, and to be made to think. Too many movies nowadays are just cookie-cutter tripe, or sequels, or something dumbed down to the lowest common denominator or sanitized to within an inch of it's life so as to not offend anyone.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who was the kid in 3rd Rock From The Sun) does a great job in a not-for-Hollywood role. he's vulnerable when needing to be, but tough when needing to be. And the numerous shots of him in various states of undress (albeit, none full frontal) were of interest to me. But up and beyond that, he showed acting abilities I didn't know he had.

The movie, in parts, wasn't easy to watch, but I'm glad I did watch it. And if one is not easily offended and willing to see a movie that requires you to think, then I'd recommend it. Otherwise, just go watch the latest Hollywood explosion-fest, or decades old TV show made into a movie, or somethign similar. Don't try to expand your horizons or your thinking.

POLT = listening to "Gone" by Madonna

We can't take for granted how much we accomplish just be saying, I'm gay. - David Groff

1 comment:

m_o_o_nspells said...

Attempt #2 at posting a reply to this one...damned tempermental internet connection at work! :oP
I haven't seen this one but I think, based on your recommendation, that I'll look for it. I'll give one back to ya: if you like Kevin Bacon and you can stomach similar subject matter, check out The Woodsman, if you haven't seen it yet. It's one of his best performances (which, in my opinion, is saying something!) in a disturbing but very well done movie.
Enjoy!