Monday, November 14, 2005

Christmas lights sparkle in the silence...

This evening, I decided to take a walk. I walked along the main street of our town called, unimaginatively enough, Main Street. This is where all the businesses downtown are located. And I noticed in 5 businesses, and well as two apartments above them, there were already Christmas trees up, Christmas lights twinkling in windows.

I just have a few questions for these business owners and apartment livers:

1) Do you bring out the hearts and cupids on Jan 3?
2) Do you put up shamrocks and leprechauns on Feb 6?
3) Do you break out the fireworks, sparklers, and red, white and blue bunting on May 23?
4) Do you, perhaps, have you costume finished and candy bought and ready to hand out on Sept 20?

If not, then why in the HELL would you put Christmas stuff up 41 days before Christmas??? It's still over a week until Thanksgiving, for God's sake!!!

Now let me make clear, I am NOT a scrooge, or grinch, or anything. I love Christmas, it's like my favorite holiday. And I love Christmas decorations, I put up a tree and a lighted wreath and other things myself! But I put them up the first weekend in December, generally, NOT in mid-November! And yes, I have been lax (or lazy) in not taking them down when they should be (the tree was up until memorial day one year) BUT I don't have them all lit up and all that late.

All I'm saying is, people, please, for the love of God and all that makes Christmas special, rein in those desires to decorate for Christmas prior to thanksgiving, at LEAST. I mean, if you put them up too early, everyone gets sick of seeing them and then doesn't feel Christmas-y at Christmas.

yeah, I thought about saying something about the stores putting up Christmas stuff before Halloween, but corporate America is a slave to the almighty dollar, and I'm sure they'd decorate for Christmas in July if they thought they could make a buck on it, so they're hopeless.

POLT = listening to "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction

There is no right or wrong, just fun or boring. - Hackers

No comments: