Monday, November 07, 2005

Wrapped in fierce debate, would be thrown away..

Last night, on the West Wing, they had a special, a live "debate" between the two candidates running for president, Texas Congressman, Democrat Matt Santos, and California Senator Arnie Vinick, Republican. I assume that the current (at least on the show) Democratic president Jed Bartlet was watching as well.

And let me say, i KNOW all three of these men are actors (Jimmy Smits, Alan Alda, Martin Sheen) but I would rather have voted for any one of these three fictional men than the three choices we had running in the last two elections. Any one of the fictional characters would make a damn finer president than any of our recent options.

And how sad is that? We've got, what, 250 million or so people in this country, and we're saying that the three best candidates we can produce over two election cycles in Al Gore, John Kerry, and Bushie twice??? IF that's the case, it's no wonder out country is in such dire straights.

Still, and all, to have the 'debate' shown live, well it was a stunt, yes I realize that, but it was an interesting choice. Episodic TV isn't used to live tv...but everyone, even Forest Sawyer (yes the real Forest Sawyer) who hosted did well. And I wish we could a REAL debate like that sometime as well!

Oh well...if wishes were horses...

POLT = listening to "Lemon" by U2

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hell. - Brian, Queer As Folk

1 comment:

m_o_o_nspells said...

I stopped watching The West Wing when Aaron Sorkin left. I stuck with it for about 3 episodes once he was gone but the characters started acting unlike their well-established selves and the show became very soap-opera-ish; I found myself getting pissed about the way things were going so I gave it up. It was just frustrating me and from everything I've seen in commercials since, I'm glad I did. It went from being arguably the best drama on t.v. to being ER masquerading as a political show...bleah! Down with John Wells!